[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:07:20 +0200

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> Just van Rossum:
>
> > It should probably be off by default on all other systems (I think a
> > compile-time switch is good enough). Maybe if we advertize the potential
> > sloppy-unix-code-breakage loud enough we can make the feature mandatory in
> > a later release, however I don't see a practical way of issuing warnings for
> > the situation.
>
>     It should be on by default for the Python interpreter reading Python
> programs as making it off by default leads to the inability to run programs
> written with Windows or Mac tools on Unix which was the problem reported by
> 'dsavitsk' on comp.lang.python.

Yes, but as was mentioned before: this will lead to other problems for which we
wouldn't have a good excuse: any program printing a traceback with the traceback
module will output bogus data if linecache.py will read the source files
incorrectly. And that's just one example. I don't think the two features should
be switchable separately.

Maybe it should be on by default, provided we have a command line switch to to
turn the new behavior *off*, just like there used to be a command line switch to
revert to string based exceptions.

Just