[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Chris Barker chrishbarker@home.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:13:56 -0700

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> No, obviously it's cross-platform disk sharing.  The first time this
> came up was when it became possible to mount Unix volumes on NT boxes

I'm sure it came up before that, I know it has for me, and I don't
happen to do any cross platform disk sharing. It is just a little more
soluble if you aren't doing disk sharing.

> many years ago, and that's when Python's parser (eventually) grew the
> habit of silently ignoring a \r just before a \n in a source file.

It can do that? I had no idea. Probably because I work on the Mac and
Linux almost exclusively, and hardly ever encounter a Windows box.

> It's a sign of how backward the Mac world is that the problem only now
> pops up for the Mac. :-)

Actually it's a sign of how *nix/Windows focused Python is. It's sad to
see that someone thought to fix the problem for *nix/Windows, and didn't
even consider the Mac (as Just pointed out the problem has been know for
a long time). Frankly, it's also a symptom the the isolationist attitude
of a lot of Mac users/developers. and Don't get me started on the spaces
vs tabs thing!

Just,

Are you planning on putting together a PEP from all of this? I'd really
like to see this happen!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,