[Pythonmac-SIG] errors of every kind w/ MacPython 2.0, 2.1xx, MacOS 8.1

Stefan Witzgall stefan.witzgall@online.de
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:47:38 +0200

Here sits a poor user (the bug himself ;-?) and tries to bring his
MacPython into a usable, stable (!) condition.

I am running Mac OS 8.1 on my PMac (601 CPU) and have installed all the
versions  of MacPython lying around, except 1.5c2. To say it: 2.0, 2.1b1,
2.1b2.
The latter I configured as "Classic".

Now I'm running into errors of every kind when trying the examples.

- example0 of the Mac demos gave me an error 1 when starting up (-> MacsBug)
- example1 (dnslookup) seems to work.
(Both with 2.0 and 2.1b1)
- The tkinter example brownian starts up with a so long traceback ...
- Other tkinter files start up, show there frame and the buttons, but when
clicking a button they crash -> MacsBug, error 11 (so often).
- Other tkinter files are running: Hanoi, electrons, draw.

Frustrating, "using" MacPython such way makes not much sense.

So I'm asking for help:

- Is there a way to configure my system w/ MP so this will work fine?
- Could anyone recommend a version of MP, even older, that will run smooth?
- Are there Python scripts w/ or w/o tkinter that do a more then trivial
job and run fine with at least one of the MP versions?

Stefan

<Stefan.Witzgall@online.de>