[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Chris Barker chrishbarker@home.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:20:32 -0700

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> Please write the results of this discussion up as a PEP. PEPs don't
> necessarily have to provide an implementation of what is covered;
> it sometimes simply suffices to start out with a summary of the
> discussions that have been going on. Then someone may pick up the
> threads from there and possibly find a solution which will then
> get implemented.

Just, I second that. I really think this is a very useful improvement to
Python, I'd I'd really like to see it happen. I am probably even more
out of my depth than you when it comes to suggesting impimentation, but
I'd be glad to help with any parts of a PEP that I can.

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > <grin>  I'll repeat my question of yesterday: is there any reason why we
> > couldn't start with QIO?  I did some checking after I sent that out, and
> > QIO claims that it can be configured to recognize different kinds of
> > line endings.  QIO is claimed to be 2-3 times faster than Python 1.5.2;
> > don't know how that compares to 2.x.
>
> >From a one-minute review it looks like as good a start as any!

Great! I have to say that it really seemed that someone must have
produced an open source solution to this problem somewhere, and it turns
out there is something Python related already.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.