[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python installer results.

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 23:19:36 +0200

Kelvin,
I'm sending my reply to the whole list, because your problem has me
baffled. Let's see whether anyone else can shed some insight.

Recently, Kelvin Chu <kelvin.chu@uvm.edu> said:
> Hello, Jack;
>
> Many, many thanks for the hard work you've put in with the MacPython stuff.
> I've been using it now for a while on Unix boxes and am delighted to see it
> on the Mac.
>
> I grabbed a copy of the installer from
> http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/newer/MacPython21full.hqx and ran
> into some problems.  I'm running on a 450MHz iMac running OSX (10.01, build
> 4K78 - updated software from Apple).
>
> As predicted by the installer, the ConfigurePythonCarbon step fails and I
> have to run it by hand.  I get the following error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Moes:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:ConfigurePython.py", line
> 199, in ?
>   File "Moes:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:ConfigurePython.py", line
> 162, in main
>   File "Moes:SWdev:Jack:Python:Mac:scripts:ConfigurePython.py", line
> 75, in mkcorealias
>   file "hatch:users:kelvin:applications:python
> 2.1:mac:lib:macostools.py", line 75, in copy
>   ofp = open(dstfss.as_pathname(), 'wb')
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> 'Hatch:System:Library:CFMSupport:PythonCore 2.1'

What appears to be happening here is that it tries to install
PythonCore in the wrong folder. It should put it into
/Library/CFMSupport but it tries to put it in
/System/Library/CFMSupport. This directory is unwriteable for mere
administrators, because it contains Apple's stuff. You might be able
to write it as root, but this is not a good idea.

For me everything worked fine (also 10.0.0 as admin user).

The only thing that I can imagine is that FindFolder has changed
between 10.0.0 and 1.0.1 and now it does not create the
/Library/CFMSupport folder... Nope, just tried it, it does create it
nicely.

Hmm, maybe FindFolder fails for some unknown reason on your system.
Could you try the following:
>>> import macfs
>>> import MACFS
>>> vrefnum, dirid = macfs.FindFolder(MACFS.kLocalDomain,
	     MACFS.kSharedLibrariesFolderType, 1)
>>> fss = macfs.FSSpec((vrefnum, dirid, 'dummy'))
>>> print fss.as_pathname()