[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1 release available

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 14:48:19 -0700

At 0:06 +0200 8/3/2001, Jack Jansen wrote:
>[Folks: I'm sending this mail to pythonmac-sig only for today. Once I
>have a few "it works" reports in I'l advertise it wider]

Jack, I don't think it's ready for prime time on Mac OS X.  (Which doesn't
hurt me, because I have "mainline" Python 2.1 running happily on Mac OS X.

I think if you do re-release for Mac OS X, the readme note about clearing
the leavings out of /Library/CFMSupport needs to be moved toward the top of
the readme.  After the installer crashed twice, I did notice, and cleared
it out.

Then the installer ran, leaving me with a /Library/CFMSupport/PythonCore
2.1.1 which both Finder (not to be trusted) and ls -l insist contains 0
bytes.

ConfigurePythonCarbon ran "forever" (shower plus 1/2 hour).

I haven't gotten through import test.autotest yet...it has hung after
test_grammar, or after test__all__, or crashed in there somewhere.  Then I
started the IDE in error (clicked wrong file), and it looped early on (or
at least showed the spinning color wheel)...I ran Python Interpreter and
the tests got as far as printing test_bufio.

I'm off for a small venture...will be trying under Mac OS 9.1 (freshly
installed on a different partition) when I get back (Monday morning your
time).

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA