[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1 release available

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:08:07 +0200

First: could other people please report OSX success/failure reports? I
want to find out quickly whether this is a general problem or a
specific one with John's setup.

Recently, John W Baxter <jwblist@olympus.net> said:
> Jack, I don't think it's ready for prime time on Mac OS X.  (Which doesn't
> hurt me, because I have "mainline" Python 2.1 running happily on Mac OS X.
>
> I think if you do re-release for Mac OS X, the readme note about clearing
> the leavings out of /Library/CFMSupport needs to be moved toward the top of
> the readme.  After the installer crashed twice, I did notice, and cleared
> it out.

John, are you sure you're getting aliases in /Library/CFMSupport? That
was a problem with 2.1 beta installers, but I "fixed" it for 2.1 final
by always copying and never aliaseing on OSX. So if you're seeing
aliases there something funny is happening.

> Then the installer ran, leaving me with a /Library/CFMSupport/PythonCore
> 2.1.1 which both Finder (not to be trusted) and ls -l insist contains 0
> bytes.

This is more serious. You're not running a multiprocessor? So far the
only reports off this happening has been on multiprocessors.

> ConfigurePythonCarbon ran "forever" (shower plus 1/2 hour).

This is the same problem as the previous one, I think. The I/O system
somehow hangs.

> I haven't gotten through import test.autotest yet...it has hung after
> test_grammar, or after test__all__, or crashed in there somewhere.  Then I
> started the IDE in error (clicked wrong file), and it looped early on (or
> at least showed the spinning color wheel)...I ran Python Interpreter and
> the tests got as far as printing test_bufio.

Again, the same I/O problem. If you have a multiprocessor you should
have read the release notes (Python 2.1.1 does not work on OSX
multiprocessors), if you don't have a multiprocessor I'm very
interested in your Apple System Profiler output.