[Pythonmac-SIG] Rated X for (spot)

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:47:28 +0200

John W Baxter wrote:
> Seems like a good idea to me (if it can be done without breaking existing
> code...and maybe even then:  we have to learn "from __future__ import xxx"
> sometime ;-)  ).

Maybe it could almost be as simple as this:

    Carbon/
        __init__.py   # empty
        Evt.so        # or Evt.carbon.slb of course
        Events.py
        Win.so
        Res.so
        Qd.so
        ..etc...

Then either Carbon/ itself is on sys.path (b/w compatible) or the surrounding
folder (forcing "from Carbon import Qd") or even both?

It's a little tricky as under MacPython some of the Mac modules (Qd, Res, a
bunch of others) aren't available as shared libs, but are part of PythonCore,
but overall I think it's possible to privide a smooth transition path.

Just