[Pythonmac-SIG] Packaging all toolbox modules in a package

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick@usa.xerox.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:27:45 -0400

I would think it would be possible to do this, without a transition
period...

Well, sort of without a transition period.

Create "stub" modules, which contain a 'FROM xxx import *'
to mask the fact that it's loading from a different module.

Along with that, utilize the new WARNING framework to inform the user of the
depreciation of the module naming...

			- Benjamin

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Jansen [mailto:jack@oratrix.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 7:59 AM
To: pythonmac-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Packaging all toolbox modules in a package

The more I think of it the more I like the idea of turning all the Mac
specific modules into a package. (after a transition period, of course).

One of the big advantages of a package is that it is self-contained, and can

easily be installed with distutils. For supporting the MacPython modules
under
unix-Python on OSX this is a real boon: there would be a lot less new cruft
in
the unix-Python build process (only the single glue routine) and all of the
Mac stuff would be built with a single distutils-based setup.py script.

It also means we don't pollute the namespace so much, and that it is
immedeately clear to, say, Windows users that a certain script uses
Mac-specific features ("from Mac import findertools" is a lot more clear
than
"import findertools"). I think the added nuisance is probably worth it.
Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig
++++