[Pythonmac-SIG] Announce: PythonCard 0.3.1 - need wxPython on the Mac

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:18:16 -0700

This message is meant as a motivator to help get other people to help with
porting wxPython to the Macintosh. We already have a reasonable number of
Mac users on the PythonCard mailing list waiting patiently for the day they
can run wxPython on the Mac, and given that the wxWindows port seems fairly
far along, I'm hoping that day comes soon. Anyway, if you are able to help
with the wxPython port, please contact Robin Dunn <robin@alldunn.com>
directly. Since I'm no longer a Mac developer, there is very little direct
coding help I can provide; plus I can only pester Robin myself so much each
day ;-)

For those of you that also have *nix or Windows systems as well as Macs (or
if you just want to check out the screenshots), then keep reading and give
the PythonCard prototype a try, join the mailing list, and contribute ideas
and criticisms and code (we can always use more developers).

ka
---
PythonCard is a software construction kit (in the spirit of Apple's
HyperCard) written in Python.

Prototype release 0.3.1 contains ten sample applications to show off the
features of the latest PythonCard prototype. Sample screenshots are at:
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples.html

Latest release files:

PythonCard home page
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

SoureForge summary page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncard/

Mailing list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pythoncard

0.3.1 changelog:
Fixed line ending problems with PyCrust files that caused 0.3 release to not
work correctly on *nix systems. Also, removed the background.gif file from
the proof sample which is not needed.

0.3 changelog:
Changes:
added changelog.txt and readme.txt files
menubar is now optional
    if a 'menubar' key is not found in a Stack's resource file then a
menubar
    won't be created.
log.py documented
    proof.py updated to work with log.py changes
MessageEvent was removed from proof.py since message sending
    between widgets is currently disabled
The working directory is changed to the directory of the main resource file
    such as minimal.rsrc.py when PythonCard starts up to avoid problems
    with filenames in the .rsrc.py files and any data files used by the
    application.
Property Editor and Shell windows can be overlapped by the main app window
    Due to a bug, the Message Watcher must still remain on top
added getCurrentBackground to PythonCardApp class
PythonCard now includes PyCrust (-s on command-line)
    interactivePrompt renamed to shell, all references changed
    PyCrustFrame class moved to debug.py along with test for PyCrust import
    PyCrust shell is version 0.3
PythonCard turned into PythonCardPrototype package
    All samples changed to use the new package naming
    All samples can now be run "standalone" so any _standalone.py
    files in the samples have been removed.
    __version__.py contains the current release number
    New cvs tree on SourceForge, the old proto tree is no longer used
PythonCard.py renamed to loader.py and loader.py overhauled
added deleteWidget method
added find, deprecated findByName
added turtle graphics sample
added a Property Editor (-p on command-line)
    due to time constraints, the Property Editor is only a property viewer
    in this release. You can use the set methods for widgets to change
    values inside the shell if you need to.
added gainFocus and loseFocus messages to all widgets
added StaticLine widget
ComponentSpec and AttributeSpec classes added to enhance parsing of spec.py

ka
---
Kevin Altis
altis@semi-retired.com