[Pythonmac-SIG] MacOSX Python - framework support working

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:58:38 +0200

> On Thursday, August 16, 2001, at 02:34 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
>
> > Not of specific Mac stuff yet. The framework is step one in a series
> > of things we need (feel free to jump in and help!):
> > 1) Install Python as a framework
> > 2) Create a Python.app that you can drag and drop scripts on from the
> >    finder.
>
> Would that include some form of IDE like what's in the MacPython
> distribution currently?  If not, that would be really nice to have
> somewhere on the list.

Definitely. After step 2 and 3 (porting the Carbon/MacPython modules) the IDE
should work. It'll probably need a bit more attention, wtih different
lineendings and pathnames such, but not overmuch.

> I'd like to implement some Python interfaces to the File Manager
> (starting with the HFS Plus APIs, and then the other APIs supported in
> Carbon).  My most immediate desire is to be able to drive all
> combinations of inputs to those APIs in order to test/debug the File
> Manager itself.  But that's probably more complicated than what the
> typical Python user needs/wants (so it might not be terribly useful as a
> mainstream module).

I've half-heartedly started on the HFS+ API, but done little more than add
some minimal support for FSRefs to macfs.

And I'm starting to think that this is the wrong solution. The reason macfs is
a hand-coded module is really historical, it should really be a bgen-generated
interface to Files.h, and stuff like the alias handling should be split out to
another module.

Note that you needn't worry about something being too complicated: sheer
volume is no problem (cf. Quicktime), and if parameters are really strange we
can always do a wrapper in Python.

The only problem is that bgen is rather complicated to drive. But you might
wat to have a look,