[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Tkinter in Python

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:28:45 +0200

Recently, Scott Griffitts <scott@griffitts.com> said:
> I may have misread the docs but I thought that if you installed Carbon and
> Classic (2.1.1) you could run Tkinter via PythonInterpreterClassic.
> However, I was getting the "Tkinter not supported under Carbon (yet)"
> message.  I reinstalled Classic only and it works fine now.

If you install both Carbon and Classic what gets configured by default
is Carbon. To use Tkinter you have to run ConfigurePythonClassic, and
then scripts using Tkinter start to work.

> On a side note, at work I have been able to put my limited knowledge of
> Python to good use.  A printing process that used to take over a week now
> takes 2 days.  It impressed my boss so much that he just gave me a 35%
> raise.  So it pays to know Python (and it pays to know more than your boss
> does.)

Well, I won't be asking for my fair share of that 35% :-) but if
you're willing to do something back: I suggested recently that it
might be possible to create an _tkinter.carbon.slb that is linked
against the classic Tkinter libs, InterfaceLib and
PythonCoreCarbon. This would allow Carbon Python apps on OS9 to use
Tkinter, I think....