[Pythonmac-SIG] Java-Python Extension

Chris Barker chrishbarker@home.net
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:03:58 -0700

Nathan Heagy wrote:
> Well I wonder why they didn't just use Jython...

Because:

> > JPE provides Java access to Python's native extension,

This means that you get all of CPython's compiled extensions (I'm
assuming that that would include NumPy, for example, which is one reason
Jython is simply not feasable for manyh of us that work with numbers)

It sounds like you get all the advantages of both CPython and Jython,
except being able to run your code on a JVM. Since "write once, run
everywhere" is still somewhat ellusive, this seems like a pretty darn
nifty option!!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,