[Pythonmac-SIG] Silly MacOS X question...

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:56:18 +0100

> > Just installed MacOS X and trying to change file permissions within the
> > folder where Apache CGI files are, *but* my own machine won't let me
> > (that
> > folder is owned by 'root').
> >
> > How does one change files that are owned by root?
>
> Yoy have to provide a password for root, it comes blank.  The easiest
> way to do this is:
> sudo passwd

This is not a good idea for Mac OS X, Apple advices against it. The root
account is disabled, the idea being that if you need to do something as root
you use sudo (which accepts any administrator password) for that command only,
and you never log in as root, or use su.

There's also a suido (I think it's called) somewhere out on the net that
allows you to run gui programs as root.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm