[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie asks : Current state of play for Python on Mac OS X 10.1?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:21:54 +0100

Pete Moore wrote:

> Fellow lazy leveragers!
>
> I have meandered around Sourceforge, maybe all this is in there
> somewhere, I haven't found it yet.
> Can someone point me to resources or post a brief summary of  for these
> questions:-
>
> 1.  Python Cocoa integration
>   a) is it worthwhile?
>   b) how different is this from traditional  development?
>   c) would it be a mammoth effort?
>   d) can interface builder be used for Python GUI app's?
> 2. Native TKinter
>   a) with aqua?
>   b) is it possible to allow full compatibility with existing apps.?
> 3.  Building Python from source with Project Builder
>   a) can it be done?
>   b) should it be done?
> 4.  Integrated development
>   a) IDLE things to know?
>   b) Python IDE things to know?

Cocoa:
I for one would like to play with it. Steve Majewski said he'll try to
revive pyobjc(.sf.net) so that it'll work with Python 2.2. Over to you Steve...

In the meantime I've done two things, neither of which are in CVS yet:
   - added (some) bundle support to calldll: call mach-o stuff from CFM
     apps.
   - started wrapping CoreGraphics (Aqua). This is fantastic stuff.

Jason Harper has been doing some good things to the IDE sources: better
support for Appearance as well as back-porting to 8.1. The IDE in 2.2b2
is much better under OSX than before, but it's not good enough: the object
browser widget is still broken beyond recognition. I will fix that before
2.2 final.

Just