[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie asks : Current state of play for Python on Mac OS X 10.1?

TattooMabonzoK. TattooMabonzoK.
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:54:03 +0100

On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 09:21 AM, Just van Rossum wrote:

> Pete Moore wrote:
>
>> Fellow lazy leveragers!
>>
>> I have meandered around Sourceforge, maybe all this is in there
>> somewhere, I haven't found it yet.
>> Can someone point me to resources or post a brief summary of  for
>> these
>> questions:-
>>
>> [snip]

> Cocoa:
> I for one would like to play with it. Steve Majewski said he'll try to

Same here. I've started to learn Cocoa and programming it with
Objective-C and I LOVE it. I've also played a little with F-Script
after reading the article on oreilly which and the integration of
that scripting language with cocoa is nothing short of amazing. And
now I've just received AppleScript Studio, which totally rocks.

I can't wqit to be able to program Cocoa apps using Python, the two
would make for the coolest development enviroment.

> revive pyobjc(.sf.net) so that it'll work with Python 2.2. Over to
> you Steve...
>
> In the meantime I've done two things, neither of which are in CVS yet:
>    - added (some) bundle support to calldll: call mach-o stuff from CFM
>      apps.
>    - started wrapping CoreGraphics (Aqua). This is fantastic stuff.

Just, now that you've kickstarted this, if you need any kind of
help I'd be very glad to oblige.
I've running Mac OS X only since September last year, now which
means that unfortunately, I can only help with Python in that
environment.

> Jason Harper has been doing some good things to the IDE sources: better
> support for Appearance as well as back-porting to 8.1. The IDE in 2.2b2
> is much better under OSX than before, but it's not good enough:
> the object
> browser widget is still broken beyond recognition. I will fix that
> before
> 2.2 final.

Same goes here. I've switched to using Mach-O-Python (the
Unix-based one) due to the fact that for me the IDE on Mac OS X is
FUBAR. But again if I can help with bringing the IDE to MOSX,
please count me in.

= tmk =