[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.2 compile problem

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:57:28 +0100

> This seems to be a bug in the assumptions in setup.py for OS X. Please
> correct me if I'm wrong, but line 461, "# OSX has an old Berkeley curses,
> not good enough for the _curses module." hints that perhaps the
> possibility that OS X may have been upgraded to gnu ncurses is not
> considered. This would then be a bug. For example, this is exactly what I
> have done.
>
> I am still no closer to locating what is telling make to build the curses
> module. And help to this is greatly appreciated. It seems ridiculous that
> no one on this list knows where this is being done.

Nathan,
you're on fresh ground here. I don't think anyone every tried building curses
or readline on OSX.

The included curses on OSX isn't good enough for the Python curses module, but
of course if you install a more recent one that is good enough. If you know
how to distinguish between the two: could you create a patch for setup.py and
submit it to sourceforge? If you do so within the next few days, and assign
the patch to me, and provide instructions as to where I can download the
needed curses, etc. I can probably test this patch and check it in before 2.2
goes out the door.

The _COLS collision between readline and curses is not easy to solve, this is
a general OSX problem. It is solved in 10.1 if you use a hierarchical
namespace in your binaries, but unfortunately that means your program won't
run on 10.0 anymore.

But: this collision should only bother you if you try to import curses and
readline at the same time. So if you can get setup to not import the
just-created module you should be fine.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm