[Pythonmac-SIG] Mach-O MacPython IDE!!!

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:18:20 -0800

Awesome!

So, if like me you don't have CodeWarrior, where do you get libWASTE?

>It turns out that while os.path.join and the like create
>'/asdf/zxcv/wqr' slash delimited strings, the code that converts a
>python string into a C FSRef

Tk on Mac OS X has a similar problem; the file open and save dialogs
expect Mac paths, but the Tcl libraries generate unix paths.

According to Jim Ingham (the guy behind Tk on Mac OS X), FSRef's,
unlike FSSpecs, and can be built with UNIX paths; this is how Tk on
Mac OS X, which is Carbon software, will be able to accept UNIX paths.

>(? or FSSpec?) needs ':' delimited strings. Or the Carbon library
>itself needs colon delimited strings. I didn't look into it too much
>except to determine that slash delimited path strings were the
>problem. Anyway, I wrote an awful hack in macresource.py that
>converts any slash delimited paths to colon delimited and allows the
>IDE to get up and running!!!

Very exciting! I think we'll end up with two nice IDE's on MacOSX....
Yep, that's right, IDLE will run on MachoPython! I've been playing in
IDLE for a couple of days now, and there are definite usability
issues (like, you can't save files... or open files... tooltips grab
the focus....)

Here is some more Mac/Unix path wierdness:

>>>  macpath.abspath('')
':/Users/tlownds/Desktop'

-Tony