[Pythonmac-SIG] Please test the 2.2 installer

Stefan Witzgall stefan.witzgall@online.de
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:51:37 +0100

Hi Jack,

>Recently, Stefan Witzgall <stefan.witzgall@online.de> said:
>> [cut some traceback]
>> File "archive_1_red:Python 2.2:Mac:Tools:IDE:Splash.py", line 51, in
>> UpdateSplash
>> splash.GetDialogWindow().ValidWindowRect(splash.GetDialogPort().portRect)
>> NotImplementedError: Not available in this shared library/OS version
>
>After some mailing back and forth with Jason I'm afraid this is
>unfixable. The current (Universal 3.4) version of CarbonAccessors.o
>does not have the ValidWindowRect call anymore (which the previous
>3.3.2 version did have). I could hack something together with two
>versions of CarbonAccessors.o, but this would be a nightmare to people
>who want to build from source.

ok, I see that the time of of systems thus old are goimg down the drain...

>I'm currently thinking that I'll release 2.2 as "partially MacOS 8.1
>compatible" (the interpreter works, the IDE doesn't). We (me + the
>people who have access to 8.1) should then put together a patch set
>that can be overlayed onto a MacPython installation and that replaces
>all calls to ValidWindowRect() with
>GetPort()/SetPort()/ValidRect()/SetPort() sequences.

Perhaps you could think about taking one of the last versions of MacPython
that runs smooth with MacOS 8.1 and hack the most important changes into
it, fix bugs... make an "old style", reliable "MacPython classic". Most
important is fixing bugs, not new features, in my oppinion.

I would not be angry to see the development of MacPython for MacOS 8.1 is
frozen... perhaps I never will update my currently running version of
OzTeX...

Stefan

<Stefan.Witzgall@online.de>