[Pythonmac-SIG] Distributing modules, extensions & packages

Tom Loredo loredo@spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:04:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks-

How should one best go about distributing modules, extensions, and
packages for MacPython?  Will distutils work with MacPython?  If so,
where will intalled files be placed?  (I would guess in
site-packages.)  Is there any facility for handling extensions
distributed as source code (e.g., scripting of the CodeWarrior IDE)?
Since distutils is designed to work from a command line, I suspect it
would be awkward to use with MacPython.  Is simply distributing Python
source and extension binaries in a folder with directions on where to
place them the preferred distribution method for MacPython?

I ask because I have some numerical extensions that may be of some
general interest, and I also appear to have the ZODB and
DocumentTemplate parts of Zope working with MacPython2.0 (but not very
well tested yet).

Thanks,
Tom Loredo