[Pythonmac-SIG] Distributing modules, extensions & packages

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:14:20 +0100

Recently, Tom Loredo <loredo@spacenet.tn.cornell.edu> said:

> Hi folks-
>
> How should one best go about distributing modules, extensions, and
> packages for MacPython?  Will distutils work with MacPython?  If so,
> where will intalled files be placed?  (I would guess in
> site-packages.)  Is there any facility for handling extensions
> distributed as source code (e.g., scripting of the CodeWarrior IDE)?
> Since distutils is designed to work from a command line, I suspect it
> would be awkward to use with MacPython.  Is simply distributing Python
> source and extension binaries in a folder with directions on where to
> place them the preferred distribution method for MacPython?

The short answer: Distutils, Yes, site-packages, yes, yes, no, no.

The long answer: distutils works and is fully supported from
MacPython2.1, for which an alpha will be available shortly. The
command-line problem has been solved with the new
EasyDialogs.GetArgv() which works very nice with the distutils style
of commandline arg processing (and reasonable with other
packages). The one thing that I haven't had time to test yet is the
bdist stuff.

If that works well on the Mac I may take Numeric, img and PIL out of the
standard distribution, or at the very least make it a lot easier to
replace them with more recent versions when they become available (by
putting them in the site-python folder).