[Pythonmac-SIG] possible bug with division operator and floating point numbers

Doug Landauer landauer@apple.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:56:37 -0800

> Well, thanks to you and the others who've expounded on this a bit. I
> learn something new everyday, or at least identify new things that I
> don't understand.  :->
>
> Altho this isn't a significant issue in itself for most people, it is a
> curiosity that I could see causing some hapless hack like myself to
> waste hours trying to resolve...

The use of floating point in Python should come along with a suggestion
to go to deja.com and read everything that Tim Peters has written in
comp.lang.python, about floating point.  That gives one a much better
appreciation of just how much there is to know about floating point.

Basically, the summary is:  it's subtler and more complex than you
thought.  But Tim says that so entertainingly ...

    -- Doug