[Pythonmac-SIG] Double CLickable

Richard Gordon richard@richardgordon.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:28:10 -0500

>I noticed that the demos execute upon double clicking.  How do I
>make my source file (BBEdit) so that it will execute in this way.

One way is to go into the File Exchange control panel and associate
.py, .pyc, and .pyo extensions with Python.

This brings to mind a minor gripe that I've developed in the course
of several months of working in Python on NT- I've set things up so
that .py is an executable and a script will run when double-clicked,
but if I right-click instead, I have the option to edit it instead,
either in PythonWin by default or in vim or visual studio as other
choices. I find that I miss this choice when working on the Mac and
am forever launching scripts that I really intended to edit. Does
anyone happen to know of a Mac contextual menu module that emulates
this behavior? Assuming yes but you can only choose among apps, how
would you get it to let you edit in the Mac python IDE- maybe with an
AppleScript that had been saved as an applet or something?

Richard Gordon
Gordon Design
Web Design/Database Development
http://www.richardgordon.net