[Pythonmac-SIG] Icons etc

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:00:03 -0800

I can help with some of these.

mark brady wrote:
> Some related questions:  Exactly what is a .pyc file?

A .pyc file is the compiled bytecode version of the coresponding .py
file. If this is as new as the .py file, the interpreter wil luse it,
saving the time required to compile your code to byte code. It is still
cross-platform.

What
> does the application builder do? You're probably going to tell
> me that it builds and application :-)  OK, but exactly how does
> that differ from a .py file or a .pyc file?

yes, it does build an application. How this differs from a .py file is
that It bundles up the interpreter, and any modules used by your app
into one file (all the code goes into the resource fork). The result is
a single, double-clickable application file that can be run on any
machine, with or without Python installed. A very easy way to distribute
your Python App.

While I'm at it: An "Applet" is like an application in that it behaves
like a single stand alone app, but doesn't include the interpreter, so
Python needs to be installed for it to work. One advantage of this over
double clickable .py files is that you can drag-and-drop files onto an
applet, and the filenames will show up in sys.argv so your app can
process them. You can also set start up options for the interpreter
different than for your main instance of the interpreter.

> I tried turning my .py file into an application but I got a
> "can't find _imagingtk file" message.  I searched my disc for
> such a file and didn't find one either.

Can't hel you here. sorry.

-Chris

--