[Pythonmac-SIG] problem with socket library in 2.0?

James B. Wilkinson jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:48:10 -0500

Last year I wrote a rudimentary client/server pair using
dgramsockets. I used it in my networking class as a demo. Today I
installed Macpython 2.0 on my Mac, and that seems to have broken the
server. Things just hang as if the packet from the client is not
being delivered. If I drag the server onto the 1.5.2 interpreter, it
still works fine with the same client.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Thanks

#Datagram server
from socket import *
import struct
HOST = '127.0.0.1'
PORT = 50007

def serve():
	s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM)
	s.bind((HOST, PORT))
	test(s)
	s.close()

def test(s):
	data, addr = s.recvfrom(1024)
	print 'Connected by', addr, "got: ", data
	s.sendto(data, addr)

if __name__ == '__main__':
	serve()

#Datagram client
from socket import *
HOST = 'burton.cs.cofc.edu'
PORT = 50007
s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM)
s.sendto('Hello, world.', (HOST, PORT))
data, addr = s.recvfrom(1024)
s.close()
print 'Received:', `data`, 'from', addr

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.