[Pythonmac-SIG] setting tcsh path in OS X.bloat

parks kevin kp87@lycos.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:27:49 +0900

I am sorry if this is too off topic, if so i apologize. I find the tcsh configuration on Mac OS X to be very very confusing. First there are the sort of global system-wide defaults for the tcsh.  These would be in /etc.
As in /etc/csh.cshrc
     /etc/csh.csh.login
     /etc/csh.logout

In the old days these might actually be expected to contain data or instructions. That wasn't convoluted enough so now these files reference something else:

[localhost:/etc] kevin% more csh*
::::::::::::::
csh.cshrc
::::::::::::::
source /usr/share/init/tcsh/rc
::::::::::::::
csh.login
::::::::::::::
source /usr/share/init/tcsh/login
::::::::::::::
csh.logout
::::::::::::::
source /usr/share/init/tcsh/logout

but if you go there you are greeted by more than login, logout and rc

 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   952 Feb 17 12:48 README
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   892 Feb 17 12:48 aliases
24 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  9366 Feb 17 12:48 completions
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   433 Feb 17 12:48 environment
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   695 Feb 17 12:48 login
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   395 Feb 17 12:48 logout
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  1938 Feb 17 12:48 rc
 8 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  2400 Feb 17 12:48 tcsh.defaults

ok, it is easy enough to know what these are for. We've finally actually gotten to the defaults for the tcsh files. And we have a really shitty README to boot, one that is as terse as a man page (read: not for human beans) and unlike most unix man pages, totally useless and incomprehenable (UNIX man pages are like 97% useless). Reading the really unreadble README file we learn that we are supposed to customize our tcsh by creating a ~/Library/init/tcsh dir and the following files:

	aliases.mine		- shell aliases
	completions.mine	- completions
	environment.mine	- environment
	rc.mine			- run commands
	path			- command search path

We learn almost nothing else. The fool who wrote the README expects us to read the usr/share/init/tcsh/ and figure it out. Since i am also a fool and a technically challeged one at that i am at a loss as to how to _*ADD*_ to my path and not just clobber it. Additionally putting junk in path does nothing. Infact a look at /usr/share/init/tcsh/login reveals:

##
# Read user's login
##
if (-r "${tcsh_initdir}/login.mine") then
  source "${tcsh_initdir}/login.mine"
endif

Which leads me to believe that the ~/Library/init/tcsh/path file should be called ~/Library/init/tcsh//login.mine. Low and behold, this doesn't work either.

I want (like freaking crazy) to be able execute scripts in various dirs without having to type the whole path. I want to say:

kevin% hello.py

and not

kevin% ~/freakinpath/reallylongpath/killmepleasepath/godimissmyNeXT/hello.py

But to do this i need to edit (or really append or extend) my path, how on god's green earth do you do this in OS X.bloat?

Thanks

"i miss windowshading like crazy-ily yours"

-kevin--

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!