[Pythonmac-SIG] setting tcsh path in OS X.bloat

Glenn Andreas gandreas@delver.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:09:26 -0500

>Some people do want their current working directory to be in the PATH
>(as that is how this thread started) this was always the case on DOS,
>but is not with Unix. You can add it to your path:
>
>set PATH = ./:$PATH
>
>This is considered dangerous in the Unix community in general. I'm not
>sure why, but I stick with the standard just type the ./ when I want to
>run a script in my current directory.

This is because if you download anything from the net, it would be
trivial for somebody to add a scripted called "ls" or "cd" into that
archive, then you'd do something simple like:

	tar -xvf evilfile.tar
	cd evildir
	ls

and suddenly be executing the "ls" script that came from the evil
archive which, besides performing a "real" ls to show you what files
(minus their own scripts) it could then modify all of your files,
take over your computer, send your credit card information to
Elbonia, cause flooding in your basement, and make your cat/dog's
hair fall out.

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas@delver.com
Author of Macintosh games: Theldrow 2.3, Blobbo 1.0.2, Cythera 1.0.2
Be good, and you will be lonesome