[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused Mac Newbie

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:09:55 -0700

For MacOS 9, you have a choice of running MacPython using Carbon or
Classic. Only Classic supports Tkinter. To run using Classic
double-click the application "ConfigurePythonClassic".

If you've not found the release notes, I suggest a careful read --
see "Relnotes" in the "Relnotes" folder.

Best of luck with the Mac port. Tkinter has some quirks under the Mac
(as noted in the release notes). In particular:
- run your app by dragging it onto PythonInterpreter (do NOT use
Python IDE for Tkinter applications)
- file events are broken
- your application may not yield many CPU cycles to background apps
- custom Menus may be flaky (I've never gotten them to work reliably)

Regards,

-- Russell