[Pythonmac-SIG] Python.framework under OS X

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:59:48 +0200

Ok, time for some detailed discussion.

> 1. Build the core python distribution as a framework to be placed
> in /Library/Frameworks. Allows for easy installation and
> accessible for all Applications.

One problem here is that /Library/Frameworks/Python will look different from
what unix-pythoneers are used to. It'll be similar, but different. I'd like to
know whether its possible to but a "normal" python installation in here (say,
in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/python) and put the framework
mumbojumbo in symlinks. Hmm, yes, the existing frameworks already do that, so
symlinking should be fine.

Does anyone know what the minimum contents of a framework are?

Also, the only way I've found to create frameworks is through Project Builder.
Is there a command line program to do it as well, or should I hand-craft it?

> 2. Set the PYTHONPATH to search the ~/Library/Python then
> /Library/Python for additional modules. Basically, they would
> act as local and global site-packages directories.

I think I'd prefer the global site-packages to live in Lib/site-packages in
/Library/Framework/Python.framework/ just so we're not accused of changing
things without reason (by the rest of the unix-pythoneers). The
~/Library/Python idea I like.

> 3. Create a command-line executable in /usr/local/bin to work
> like the current interpreter.

Yep.

> 4. Create a PythonInterpreter View Interface Builder Pallet so
> applications can embed the interpreter inside the application
> along with a place for user interaction.

Oops, buzzword overload. I know the various words, but the stringing together
doesn't result in added meaning. Could you expand on this a bit?

> 5. Develop a Aqua-based GUI interface. Given the problems
> people have had using PyObjC we may want to use Carbon.
> Interface Builder supports Carbon so, people could layout
> their UI using IB.

I think we can do it so that people could do both, but initially I think
Carbon is the way to go. I have most of the MacPython toolbox modules ported
(at least: they compile and import), I'm working on the few basic necesseties
we need to put Carbon and BSD together (FSRefs, CFString and friends) and on
replacements for things we're going to lose (MLTE to replace Waste; that is,
unless someone wants to invest some time into getting Waste to run under
Mach-O Carbon. This would be *very* welcome as lack of Waste is the main thing
that stops us from starting on IDE).

> 6. Being porting some of the other python modules to the new
> UI. I'm thinking of various ones such as PIL and PyOpenGL.

PIL should be trivial, PyOpenGL also not too difficult.

Most of what I've done so far is in the repository already, the one exception
being the setup.py file (which will build all the toolbox modules and such). I
can mail it to people who want to play with this stuff, and I'll also try and
think of a way to put it into the repository without overmuch bothering people
who use OSX as a unix box.