[Pythonmac-SIG] Python.framework under OS X

Doug Wyatt doug@sonosphere.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:09:53 -0400

On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 04:59 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:
> Ok, time for some detailed discussion.
>
>> 1. Build the core python distribution as a framework to be placed
>> in /Library/Frameworks. Allows for easy installation and
>> accessible for all Applications.
>
> One problem here is that /Library/Frameworks/Python will look different
> from
> what unix-pythoneers are used to. It'll be similar, but different. I'd
> like to
> know whether its possible to but a "normal" python installation in here
> (say,
> in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/python) and put the framework
> mumbojumbo in symlinks. Hmm, yes, the existing frameworks already do
> that, so
> symlinking should be fine.
>
> Does anyone know what the minimum contents of a framework are?

Probably just Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist and the executable.

> Also, the only way I've found to create frameworks is through Project
> Builder.
> Is there a command line program to do it as well, or should I
> hand-craft it?

You can build frameworks manually, one file at a time.  There's the
requisite file and folder structure including the executable which is
simply a dynamic library.  You can snoop on how Project Builder does its
work by turning on the detailed log level preference (under Building).

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt
work:  dwyatt@apple.com  (CoreAudio)

"There is real magic in enthusiasm.
  It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment."
	-- Norman Vincent Peale

--
Doug Wyatt
work:  dwyatt@apple.com  (CoreAudio)
personal:  doug@sonosphere.com   http://www.sonosphere.com

"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and
  day to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle
  any human being can fight and never stop fighting."
	-- e. e. cummings