[Pythonmac-SIG] Off subject? can OSX developer tools be used to create "Classic"

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:52:14 +0200

> I don't know any reason why filters couldn't be written to convert
> object file formats, or a new backend written for gcc+ld to write
> PEF/CFM objects for Classic, but I haven't heard that any such tools
> are in the works from Apple or anyone else. (I'm sure Apple doesn't
> want to step on Metrowerks toes too much!)

If I understand correctly it's not only the object file format that is
different but also the subroutine calling conventions. At least, I think that
that is what all the OSX CFM<->MachO glue stuff is converting.