[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1c2 available

Corran Webster cwebster@nevada.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:55:13 -0700

At 11:55 PM +0200 26/7/01, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Recently, Corran Webster <cwebster@nevada.edu> said:
>>  Running the test on CarbonPython 2.1.1c2 on a G4, 540 MHz, OS 9.1,
>>  using the interpreter (not the IDE) I'm getting _really_ odd
>>  behaviour.  It runs fine unless I switch another application to being
>>  the frontmost one.  When I do, the Python script crashes, sometimes
>>  with a KeyboardInterrupt exception, [...]
>
>Hey! This is an error for which I still warn in the release notes, but
>that I haven't seen in a long time.

...which serves me right for not reading release notes, right ;)

However, now I can't seem to reproduce the error any more.  Between
my previous message and this one I used Python 2.1 a bit for some
Numeric stuff, and other than that didn't touch Python.  I didn't
reboot or anything like that.

I tried running configurePythonCarbon again to see if that would
re-introduce the error, but it had no effect.

However, I do notice that the Apple Menu has double copies of all
menu items in the interpreter.  It's also there in 2.1.  I guess it
shows you how much I use the Interpreter...

>I've tried to repeat it based on your recipe but I can't. So, I guess
>either the application you're switching to is important (which one was
>it? more than one?)

It happened with Eudora, Finder and Mozilla (I tried all to see if it
was just Eudora).  I also had iTunes and Stickies running, but didn't
try to switch to either of those.

>  or something else in the environment. I'm trying
>at home now (iMac G3 400Mhz, OS 9.1) but I think I myself only saw the
>problem on my work machine (G4, 450Mhz, OS 9.0.4 or 9.1). I can hardly
>imagine that the CPU type is to blame, though...

For what it's worth, I have several versions of Python currently
installed on the machine - 1.5.2, 2.0, 2.1b1 (which I really should
get rid of) and 2.1, but I've only been using 2.1 recently.

I haven't noticed anything like this on my B&W G3 at home, but it's
running OS X.  I haven't tried 2.1.1 on it either.

>Maybe other people could also try this, and see whether we can nail it
>down? If this is the same problem I saw it should also be there in 2.1.

Nope, but I didn't try it until just now.

I'll try rebooting and see if anything changes.

Regards,
Corran