[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1.1c2 on OS8.6

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:44:37 -0700

Jack, what is supposed to happen when running the full 2.1.1c2 installer in
Mac OS X  10.0.4 (I decided to go ahead)?

What did happen at the end was the warning about ConfigurePythonCarbon
probably not working.

Right...it didn't work.

But my attempt to run it by hand left its splash window on screen for a
long time, with seemingly no action.  It did much the same when I tried
running it under Mac OS 9 (booted into the "reserved for Classic" Mac OS
9.1 which shares the Mac OS X partition).  After some false starts running
the incomplete pseudo-application (with results which now don't
matter...thanks for the explanation), and some time away from the machine,
I have now run the interpreter, getting:

Python 2.1.1c2 (#96, Jul 25 2001, 23:07:15)  [CW CARBON GUSI2 THREADS] on mac
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
['', 'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1', 'Blake:Applications:Python
2.1.1:Mac:PlugIns', 'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:Mac:Lib',
'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:Mac:Lib:lib-toolbox',
'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:Mac:Lib:lib-scriptpackages',
'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:Lib', 'Blake:Applications:Python
2.1.1:Extensions:img:Mac', 'Blake:Applications:Python
2.1.1:Extensions:img:Lib', 'Blake:Applications:Python
2.1.1:Extensions:Imaging:PIL', 'Blake:Applications:Python
2.1.1:Lib:lib-tk', 'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:Lib:site-packages',
'Blake:Applications:Python 2.1.1:lib:site-packages:Numeric']

Is it likely that the configuration is roughly right?  Or do I need to do
some hand adjusting?

The autotest went well, in terms of results, EXCEPT that I find the failure
of test_bufio surprising:
test_bufio
test test_bufio failed -- Expected '1234x' got ''

[test_threadedtempfile managed to show 130% CPU usage in top (Dual 533...1
processor fully used == 100%)...highest I've happened to see).

Hmmm...perhaps the tests don't go fine:  in a second attempt (restarted the
PythonInterpreter and redid import test.autotest), the testing seems to
have hung with the last report being
test___all__
It did that for a while the first time, but started moving on when I put
another window in front and then brought PythonInterpreter.out to the front
again.  Trying to bring up the PythonInterpreter window during the seeming
pause was frustrating:  the menu would not remain pulled down.  Finally it
did, and Quit made the .out window go away but left the PythonInterpreter
as the front application.

108 tests OK.
1 test failed: test_bufio
30 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_crypt test_dbm
test_dl test_fcntl test_fork1 test_gc test_gl test_grp test_imgfile
test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_locale test_mmap test_nis
test_openpty test_poll test_popen2 test_pty test_pwd test_signal
test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_sundry test_timing test_winreg
test_winsound

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA