[Pythonmac-SIG] cross platform GUI?

Bill Dozier & Chris Platt pairodox@appleisp.net
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:26:57 -0500

> This discussion makes oit pretty clear that while tkinter is the only
> option for cross platform develpment, it is pretty inadequate.

IMHO Jython is superior to using tkinter. tk on the Mac is quirky,
hopelessly ugly and not much speedier than Java.

wxWindows on the Mac, I suspect, will turn out apps that look a lot like
ported Windoze app. If I am right, this will not be a great option.

Pros:
Cleaner code
More control over L&F
Better support for JDK than for tk
Better stability
More complete widget set (e.g., tables)
More modern framework (better event model, etc.)
Access to Java libraries as well as most of the Python library
Strong support for Java in Mac OS X, Windoze, Unixen

Cons:
Poor Swing performance on Classic Mac OS
Can't use the Mac IDE or IDLE (but you can use xemacs on OS X, which I like
better, anyway).

Bill Dozier