[Pythonmac-SIG] cross platform GUI?

Samuel Smith smithsm@samuelsmith.org
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 09:18:17 -0400

>  >
>>  This discussion makes oit pretty clear that while tkinter is the only
>>  option for cross platform develpment, it is pretty inadequate.
>>

>IMHO Jython is superior to using tkinter. tk on the Mac is quirky,
>hopelessly ugly and not much speedier than Java.
>
>wxWindows on the Mac, I suspect, will turn out apps that look a lot like
>ported Windoze app. If I am right, this will not be a great option.

My Understanding is that WxWindows uses the native look and feel on what ever
platforms see below for example
http://www.advanced.ch/wxwin/wxmac/screen.htm

We have been using WxPython (windows, linux) for a couple of years
now and have had good success with it. The support for wxwindows
seems to be solid its just that the Mac community doesn't provide
much support. I give my vote to wxPython as the best alternative for
a cross platform GUI. WxMac has been integrated to the current
WxWindows source tree. It is really just finding somebody to pick up
the gauntlet to do a mac python port.

>Pros:
>Cleaner code
>More control over L&F
>Better support for JDK than for tk
>Better stability
>More complete widget set (e.g., tables)
>More modern framework (better event model, etc.)
>Access to Java libraries as well as most of the Python library
>Strong support for Java in Mac OS X, Windoze, Unixen
>
>Cons:
>Poor Swing performance on Classic Mac OS
>Can't use the Mac IDE or IDLE (but you can use xemacs on OS X, which I like
>better, anyway).
>
>Bill Dozier

Samuel M. Smith
   Alison Moore Smith
     Jessica
     Belinda
     Alana
     Monica
     Samuel (baby)

21271 Waycross Drive, Boca Raton  FL 33428

561-487-3823 (voice)
561-487-8930 (fax)
www.samuelsmith.org (web)