[Pythonmac-SIG] Wierd Error/Bug in MacPython 2.0

Chris Barker chrishbarker@home.net
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:05:37 -0700

I'm running MacPython 2.0 (#71, Oct 22 2000 ...) on OS-9.1

I have a script that loops through a very large number of large files
(6.1 MB each), opens each one, reads it, does some NumPy crunching to
it, closes it, does some other stuff, and then goes to the next file. It
does this on batches of 500 files, and all that is in a loop so that it
processes many batches. I'd love it if it could do ten or so batches.

It works fine for a while, and then it dies with a :

IOError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

on the file.close() line.

It seems pretty wierd to me that you could not have permission to close
a file, but that is what happens. It happens after reading from a few
hundred files to up to 4000 files (the longest run yet). It does seem to
run longer when I'm not doing all the other stuff besides reading this
file, but it's inconsistant enough that I'm not sure.

I will continue to take out pieces of the code and try to narrow it
down, but this is a long process because it does generally run for 10-24
hours before crashing. I really do need it to run a lot longer than
that, however.

If anyone has any insight/ideas as to what might be going on, what I
could do about it, or how I could figure out what's up, please let me
know.

-thanks,
-Chris

--