[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between library and shared libray?

Dethe Elza delza@alliances.org
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:22:04 -0700

on 01/6/8 02:07 AM, Jack Jansen at jack@oratrix.nl wrote:

> MacPython dynamically loadable modules are always called xxxx.ppc.slb (or
> xxxx.carbon.slb), so if something is distributed as snack.shlb it isn't a
> MacPython dynamically loadable module.
>
> What could well be (not sure, I've never heard of snack) is that snack.shlb is
> the underlying implementation library and that you somehow (distutils?) need
> to create the dynamically loadable module yourself (which will then link
> against snack.shlb to provide the functionality).
>
> As a comparison: Qt.ppc.slb is the MacPython QuickTime module. The actual
> implementation of QuickTime lives in "QuickTime" and "QuickTime PowerPlug" in
> your extensions folder, and Qt.ppc.slb links against that to provide the
> functionality to Python.

Snack is a sound library for scripting languages.  It builds against TCL,
primarily, but has Python bindings.  The instructions say to put it in the
"Tool Control Language" folder in the Extensions, but I have no such folder.
When I do a "get info" on the library it just says it's a library, but the
icon is different from the other dynamically loaded libraries.  I thought
maybe you'd recognize it as a Carbon/Classic thing or something.  The other
programs which install *.shlb on my drive are Mozilla and ICQ.  The Type is
shlb and the creator is TcIL if that's any help.

Snack homepage:
http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/

--

Dethe Elza