[Pythonmac-SIG] Can't install even

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:37:01 +0200

> > On MacOS 9.1 (i.e. not X) you run ConfigurePythonClassic (not
> > ConfigurePythonCarbon) if you want to use Tkinter.
> >
> > However, I'm puzzled, because I've never seen any checkbox in
> > ConfigurePythonCarbon or ConfigurePythonClassic, they both just run.
> > So I'm wondering what sort of installation you have.
>
> Problematic. :-)

The "run in classic" check box is in the get info window on OSX. However, for
MacPython I think I wouldn't check it, because the libraries have all been
installed in the "wrong" place. They're in the OSX native locations, like
/Library/CFMSupport and not in the classic locations (like /System
Folder/Extensions).

Actually, nwo that I think of it I think that even Classic MacPython will not
run very well under OSX, for this same reason. Although ConfigurePythonClassic
may solve that problem all by itself, I'm not sure. Hmm, now that I think of
it a bit more I think that maybe it _may_ work. It sort-of depends on how
gestalt() and FindFolder() operate when they're run in the classic compatibily
box.

I'll try and find the time to do some investigations. But I'm really busy
right now, so it may be a few days before I get around to it.