[Pythonmac-SIG] What do people use Mac Python for?

Frank Steele fsteele@mindspring.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:24:53 -0400

I'm kind of wondering this in light of the "Cross platform GUI?" thread from
last week.

I love Python. I love the Mac. The projects I typically use MacPython for
usually run on Linux non-interactively, and I use MacPython to get offline
interpreter access on my PowerBook.

I have a project I'm starting to sketch out that will require a warm, fuzzy
GUI that gives inexpert users access to data in a remote database and allows
them to do some very simple, text-based visualizations. The final
application _MUST_ run on the Mac (OS 9, though a clear path to OS X is
clearly important) and on Windows; any other platforms are gravy.

My first inclination, since so much of what I've been writing is Python, was
to use Python. The responses from the earlier GUI thread have somewhat
dissuaded me, and could seemingly be summed up by Chris Barker's comment:
"This discussion makes it pretty clear that while tkinter is the only
option for cross platform development, it is pretty inadequate."

So I thought I'd ask the crowd: Is anybody doing GUI development with Python
on the Mac? Are you using Tk? Is it as bad (sorry, non-standard for users)
as my limited impression? If not Tk, what? Where can I follow progress on
wxPython?

Any wisdom is appreciated; I'm seriously considering RealBasic.

Thanks!
  Frank