[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: anybody doing GUI development with Python

Daniel Lord dano@brightfire.com
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:05:52 -0700

--Apple-Mail-1201959785-1

On Saturday, June 16, 2001, at 03:27 AM, tom smith wrote:

> If python was really as good as we all think it is, someone would have
> written RealBasic like tool in python. RealPython? PythonCard? ...and it
> would run on OS9, X, Windows and Linux....

One syntax flaw is the use of whitespace to designate block structure.
It not only creates problems between editors on the same platform with
tab and space conversion/substituion issues, but because of the
different line-ending schemes on different platforms, it hampers
portability of the source. It has been a cross-platform thorn in my side
with Python. what was so wrong with braces anyway?

I think has potential to be that good, but most people are using it for
scripting and not a full-fledged rapid application prototyping tool. In
addition, Perl has much more momentum so many talented people who could
create the critical  mass to take Python forward are busy shoring up
Perl. Perl is simply too parochial and internally inconsistent for
occasional users--you have to use it almost exclusively as your
scripting language to learn and remember all its quirks and to tap into
its incredible power. No offense Perl officianados--don't flame me for
having a preference--I just feel it just arcane, complex, idiosyncratic
for non-professionals. It is like setting up a table saw to cut a stick
in my opinion. That is where RealBasic starts to look good although I
think it is very pricey when compared to other tools.  I am not a
professional so it seems expensive for home/student/non-profit use.

I strongly desire to create a "RealPython", but, while the spirit is
willing, the skill is weak. If only for the Mac, Carbon could be used.
If Windows and Linux support is required, Jython and Java could be used.
I believe a Java framework could be created that would provide something
close to RealBasic, but of course the Devil is in the details isn't he?

RealBasic has appeal, but I believe it  lacks of the lower-level power
and syntax sophistication to repelae Python, Jython, and Java in my
tools box. Although I wish it could. Maybe the developers of RealBasic
will  take this on? They might even pull it off although they would
undoubtedly charge too much for it ;-).

> ..and it would have jam on it.
>
> Yet if your only tool is a hammer, every problem ends up looking like a
> nail.

Yes, one of my favorite phrases which is often useful in technology time
and time again--that says something about the maturity and flexibility
of the current development tools doesn't it? Apple could have made
easier on us if they had provided greater Unix interoperability
including X Server support (one of my peeves wiht OSX is that one).

--Apple-Mail-1201959785-1

If python was really as good as we all think it is, someone would have

written RealBasic like tool in python. RealPython? PythonCard? ...and
it

would run on OS9, X, Windows and Linux....

</excerpt>

[...]

</color><excerpt>..and it would have jam on it.

Yet if your only tool is a hammer, every problem ends up looking like a

nail.

</excerpt>

Yes, one of my favorite phrases which is often useful in technology
time and time again--that says something about the maturity and
flexibility of the current development tools doesn't it? Apple could
have made easier on us if they had provided greater Unix
interoperability including X Server support (one of my peeves wiht OSX
is that one).=20

--Apple-Mail-1201959785-1--