[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: anybody doing GUI development with Python

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:35:06 -0700

At 10:05 -0700 6/16/01, Daniel Lord wrote:
>One syntax flaw is the use of whitespace to designate block structure. It
>not only creates problems between editors on the same platform with tab
>and space conversion/substituion issues, but because of the different
>line-ending schemes on different platforms, it hampers portability of the
>source. It has been a cross-platform thorn in my side with Python. what
>was so wrong with braces anyway?

The nice clean indentation-is-significant syntax is one of the reasons I'm
using Python.  Other people do feel differently...should braces ever become
the required way to do things in Python, I'll stop short of moving to that
version.

One does need to tame one's editors, but that's not terribly hard (for me).

I use Python in both Mac (BBEdit, mostly) and Unix/Linux (Emacs,
exclusively), but seldom transport scripts back and forth.

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA