[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG digest, Vol 1 #739 - 7 msgs

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:39:11 +0200

> Actually, I program for a living, thank you, and am plagued with the
> tendency to call bullshit for what it is. Swallow the XML hype and
> then make a living out of it if you can find someone gullible enough
> to buy in, but I am not aware of anything in XML that isn't a rehash
> of what was being done 10 years ago with most any database and some
> SGML if need be.

XML has one *huge* advantage over the various other standards that were out
there: people are actually using it! And that means that I can get at the
inside of their fileformat!

Take the IB discussion as an example: the fact that it's internal file format
(or one of its internal file formats, according to recent reports) is in XML
means that I can take the info and do something with it.

Take the MacPython build process as another example: as CodeWarrior can read
projects in XML format I can now automatically generate the project files for
all the extension modules. This has saved me *days* when I started with the
Python port. Yes, before the XML project files this functionality was
available through AppleScript, but it was just too cumbersome.

The rendering part of XML is just icing on the cake, the real exciting news is
that there's now a universally accepted language to describe and transport
data structures. And I know that it's still quite impossible to transport data
from one program to another, even with the most elaborate stylesheet
transforms, but that'll come. For now I'm happy that I can at least parse the
data and generate it.