[Pythonmac-SIG] What do people use Mac Python for?

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:45:31 -0700

>So I thought I'd ask the crowd: Is anybody doing GUI development with Python
>on the Mac? Are you using Tk? Is it as bad (sorry, non-standard for users)
>as my limited impression? If not Tk, what? Where can I follow progress on
>wxPython?

I was doing Tk development on the Mac. I've switched to unix, mostly
for two reasons:
- file events are broken, which makes my networking app unusable
- menus are broken
This is a problem, as the resulting GUI must run on the Mac. Let's
face it, GUI is not Python's strength, especially on the Mac. I've
not yet tried Jython, but it's on the list. I have played with
wxPython a bit and plan to do more. I'd be using Smalltalk if I could
"sell" it.

I suggest you use Smalltalk (Squeak and VisualWorks NonCommercial are
both free and have different strengths), Real Basic or Java, in that
order, if any are an option. I suspect Smalltalk is most likely to
appeal to a Python user, as it's clean, flexible and has a first-rate
object model.

-- Russell