[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG digest, Vol 1 #739 - 7 msgs

Johann Hibschman johannh@uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:04:30 -0700

On Monday, June 18, 2001, at 02:45 AM, tom smith wrote:

> Not that this is great xml, but doing this with a tab delimited file
> wouldn't exactly be straightforward....
>
> <people>
> <person url="http://www.othermedia.com/blog">
> <realname>Tom Smith</realname>
>     <likes>
>         <item style="ale">beer</item>
>         <item style="balti">curry</item>
>         <item style="oo">python</item>
>     </likes>
>     <loves style="unpopular" kind="unrequited">Visual
> Programming</loves>
> </person>
> </people>

I might be an oddball, since I've done a lot of lisp coding, but I
find

(people
   (person :url "http://www.othermedia.com/blog"
     (realname "Tom Smith")
     (likes (item :style "ale"   "beer")
            (item :style "balti" "curry")
            (item :style "oo"    "python"))
     (loves :style "unpopular" :kind "unrequited" "Visual Programming")))

To be easier for me to type in, and is much easier for the computer to
parse, so I can dispense with the layers of XML readers and so on.
Most of my config files are in forms like this.

Of course, this is just a historical issue now.  A delimited text format
is good, and it looks like XML is the delimited text format we're stuck
with.  But it's nothing new; its popularity and marketing are what're
new.

Okay, that's all I'll say.  Email me privately if you want to continue
the conversation.