[Pythonmac-SIG] Type/creator issues with MacPython on OS X

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:32:48 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to run ReportLab's software on MacPython
which I've installed y'day on Mac OS X (and its classic
emulation), but find a weird problem related, as it
seems, to type/creator codes.

No matter wether I'm running the classic or carbonized
version of MacPython I observe the following:

- when opening a Python file, only those are listed
  (selectable) in the dialog window that have a type/
  creator code TEXT/Pyth (and show a Python icon in
  the Finder). Those Python files copied from external
  sources (like a ZIP disk) or fetched from the web,
  that do not have a type/creator code (or have empty
  ones) do not appear in the dialog.

- when dropping a Python file without the TEXT/Pyth
  type/creator code on an icon of the Python IDE app
  I get a warning popup, saying "Can't open file of
  type ''." Dropping file with proper codes does open
  them as expected.

Can anybody confirm and/or explain this? Is it expected
behaviour?

I should say that when updating to OS X I did not keep a
native version of OS 9.1 on a different partition of the
hard disk, so I cannot cross-check this on this OS. But
Just said it would work fine, there.

Thanks!

Dinu

--