[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Type/creator issues with MacPython on OS X

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:51:59 +0200

Recently, "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> said:

>  I've heard complaints on macosx-talk that there are differences in
> how type/creator are handled on OSX. I don't remember the specifics,
> but I have noticed with XlispStat, where I have a unix build and
> a Mac classic App, that the file dialog in the Classic App version
> does not present to me any of the .lsp file which I translated to
> unix file endings so that I could read and edit from unix. But if
> I rename "filename.lsp" to "filename.txt" , it does let me open
> the file. ( Of course, the line endings are wrong for that app. )

It might also be influenced by the magical 'plist's. Apparently in a
plist you can specify not only 4-char filetypes that your application
understands, but also unix-extensions. MacPython still uses
old-fashioned BNDL resources, where you don't get that functionality.

But this about sums up my knowledge of the subject...