[Pythonmac-SIG] SNMP OID's?

Richard E. Brown Richard.E.Brown@DARTWARE.COM
20 Jun 2001 00:36:53 EDT

Benjamin:

--- You wrote:
I'm attempting to work with 2 things:

	1 - Cisco 6506 Router/Switch
	2 - DOCSIS Cable Modems

I can find the "named" MIB's, but I can't find a=20
converter, or other documentation on how to convert
from the name to the numeric OID...
--- end of quote ---

Extracting an OID from the MIB definition is indeed a pain. Our web =
site has some pointers to SNMP resources that describe this =
process:

	http://www.intermapper.com/immanual/appxe/snmp.html#snmprefs

I have converted many MIBs to format that lists the variable name, =
OID, type, description, etc. in a a tab-delimited file. You can see =
the list by clicking on the "current set of MIBs" link on the page =
below:

	http://www.intermapper.com/contrib/customprobes.html#getmibs

The DOCSIS is there in both formats: text and tab delimted text. I =
don't have the Cisco 6506 MIB definition. Would you send it to me? =
I'll convert it and post it.  Thanks.

Rich Brown                    richard.e.brown@dartware.com
Dartware, LLC                 http://www.dartware.com
25 S. Main St, PO Box 130     Telephone: 603-643-2268
Hanover, NH 03755-0130 USA    Fax: 603-643-2289

PS Although you may still want to create your own program, please =
take a look at our InterMapper software that rolls SNMP monitoring, =
periodic polling, and notifications via sound, e-mail, and pager =
into a single package. Thanks!