[Pythonmac-SIG] Future of MacPython? (Was: Type/creator issueswith MacPython on OS X)

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:44:11 -0700

At 21:54 +0200 6/20/2001, Dinu Gherman wrote:
>I do wonder, though, if maintaining two radically different
>OS (even if closely tied together - well, in one direction)
>makes sense on the long run, but yes - that's an entirely
>different story...

In the short long run, both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X will be maintained.  In
the long long run, there will be only X, but likely still both the Carbon
way and the Cocoa way.  In the really long long run, we're all dead and it
doesn't matter.

A major upset will happen if the IBM and Motorola boards of directors pull
the plug on PowerPC...that would lead to X on Intel/AMD/???...yet another
flavor.  Cocoa should have relatively trouble with that...even Carbon
should be OK.

   --John (who probably won't make it to the X only days)
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA