[Pythonmac-SIG] Interpreter on Mac

Christopher Smith csmith@blakeschool.org
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:09:06 -0500

pythonmac-sig@python.org writes regarding the now-available patch that
fixes the Mac IDE:
>Download it via http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html and please let
>me know wether it fixes the problem.

>>> print "Hello, World! :-)"
Hello, World! :-)

Thanks, Jack.

Two notes, too.

1)  I am clearly not running Carbon (thanks for pointing out the
obvious, Just):

Python 2.1 (#92, Apr 24 2001, 23:59:23)  [CW PPC GUSI2 THREADS] on mac

2)  This pressing-end-kills-the-interpreter behavior is only partly
bad. It only boots you out of the interpreter IFF the cursor is on the
last line.  If you have moved the cursor off the last line, pressing
<end> moves you to the last line (and repeats the >>> prompt or else
\n's the line you had been editing).  My personal hand-tic work-around
is to press the up arrow before pressing the <end> key.  Could this be
done through the software?  Catch the <end> key and preface it with an
up-arrow first?

On the other hand, if it really is a ctrl-D that is being generated
and for universal behavior you want the interpreter to quit at a
ctrl-d then this isn't a good work around.

Finally, thanks for the help.  I've subscribed to tutor, edu-sig, and
this group to help me learn the language b/c I am going to be teaching
our school's first comp sci course next spring with Python.  This is
my week of intense preparation before other concerns have to take
priority this summer.  You've helped me make great returns on the
investment.

Whoever has put together the Windows package has done a great job,
too.  I helped my cousin who just graduated from HS get Python set up
last night on her machine which runs windows.  I was impressed with
how out-of-the box it was *with identical documentation* (Language
Ref, Tutorial, etc...) built into the archive.  This is going to be a
big plus when I have students who can set up Python at home under
either Mac or Windows.

/c
Have you ever sung in Latin?  The sounds are so nice to sing.
Have you ever coded in Python? It's very much the same thing.