[Pythonmac-SIG] Could the MacOSX Python core be a framework?

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:57:11 -0700

At 6:36 PM -0400 6/24/01, Steven D. Majewski wrote:
>  I think what we eventually want is a Python.app (GUI version) which
>is a bundle which contains the python framework ( shared-lib,
>resources, Nibs and the python-lib files ) and also contains a
>command line executable ( for which you'll likely want to add a
>symbolic link in /usr/local/bin )
>  Except for that symbolic link, the whole thing can be installed
>by dragging the app from a .dmg image.

An installation that easy is pretty compelling! However...

>  The OSX equivalent of BuildApplication would clone all of the
>used files (resources,libs,etc.) into a new application bundle.
>  Applets would be similar, except for sharing the same framework
>as Python.app rather than cloning one.
>  We could probably have an install script to generate symbolic links and
>separate applets like the IDE from the Python.app bundle/framework.

If you put the Python library and such in Python.app directly,
instead of in a framework, will separate apps really be able to use
those resources? I thought frameworks were required.

I've been working on a patch for the UNIX build process that
generates Python.dylib, which is a step towards the framework build.
I can e-mail it to interested parties as soon as I dual boot back to
OS X.

By the way, on OS X, Tcl and Perl are NOT frameworks, does anyone know why?

-Tony Lownds